YOUR SNORING COULD BE A SIGN OF A MORE SERIOUS MEDICAL CONDITION
What Are The Causes of Snoring
Snorers are often made to feel guilty, however the causes of snoring are often beyond their control. Certain factors increase the chances of being a snorer:-
- Physiology – The shape of the airway in some people makes snoring more likely.
- Being Overweight – Excess body fat increases the chances of snoring.
- Age – As we age weaker throat muscles increase snoring.
- Lifestyle – Some people snore after drinking alcohol or taking sleeping tablets due to the extra relaxation caused in the neck and throat.
Do men snore more than women?
Yes. (55% vs 45% VAR international 2005)
Men carry excess body fat on the upper body resulting in higher levels of snoring. Also, in younger women hormones prevent the collapse of the airway during sleep.
What Are The Effects Of Snoring
Snoring is more than just a loud noise. It leads to broken sleep for snorers and their partner. This can have a profound impact on their quality of life as it can be embarrassing and create marriage problems.
Studies have shown that the lack of sleep caused by snoring has wide reaching effects such as :
- daytime sleepiness
- a lack of energy
- poor motivation
- accidents related to driving while tired
- higher stress levels due to fatigue
- less effectiveness at work effecting remuneration and career progression
The four clinically proven snoring treatments are Mandibular Advancement Splint therapy, CPAP, Loosing weight and Surgery.
Mandibular Advancement Splints
Mandibular Advancement Splints (MAS) are customised mouth pieces made for each patient to be worn at night time to treat snoring.
- the most clinically proven
- tailor made to offer maximum comfort & retention
- allows the patient to adjust to optimize effectiveness
Continuous Positive Airway Pressure
CPAP is the gold standard for sufferers of severe Obstructive Sleep Apnoea, There are many types of CPAP equipment and a number of CPAP products.
CPAP treatment is not recommended for the treatment of simple snoring.
Loss of weight can reduce or stop snoring and there are numerous other health benefits but it is a gradual process.
There are a number of snoring surgery options but they are not always successful and can be extremely painful. We recommend this as the last option to stop snoring.
There are a number of readily available “off the shelf” products, which purport to offer a snoring treatment. As far as we are aware these treatments are not clinically trialled and do not involve contact with a trained healthcare professional.